It’s basically an unwritten rule in the fashion world that a great outfit isn’t truly complete when it isn’t accompanied by a great lipstick.
It is a tool to improve any bad mood, or any average outfit. As Elizabeth Taylor once famously said – “pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick and pull yourself together”.
It goes without saying that you can’t go wrong with a strong red, as demonstrated by worldwide favourite pop princess of the moment, Taylor Swift, who is rarely spotted without her scarlet stained pout.
However our favourite make up brands continuously supply us make up addicts with an array of appealing shades from elegant nude to deep vampy purple, to satisfy our beauty needs this Christmas.
This festive season we have pulled together the top 10 shades that you should be proudly brandishing on your mistletoe-ready lips.
And yes, the list is dominated by make-up giant MAC Cosmetics – their lipstick is too fabulous to be listed simply once. So we decided to list four.
1. MAC Living Legend. A deep plum colour – give your girly dress a vampish twist, or even use to add edge to a drab working day £15.50.
2. MAC Lady Danger. A vivid bright coral red £15.50.
3. MAC A Novel Romance. Light cool dusty pink – the ultimate in feminine cool, playing it safe but ensuring added sass-factor £15.50.
4. MAC Myth. Light neutral nude – an elegant shade perfect for day to evening use.
5. Topshop. Velvet lips In Velveteen Ribbon. Lip cream in a deep red with a powdery soft matte finish £10.
6. Illamasqua Growl. Rich mahogany brown with matte finish – don’t be afraid of browns! It’s the ultimate classy shade and is a great impacting alternative to the brash red £18.50.
7. NARS Afghan Red. A satin lipstick in deep sumptuous red £19.50.
8. Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick in 11. An absolute steal at under a tenner, and the matte with lasting finish means you can drink as many glasses of wine you want, without the worry of your lipstick wearing off.
9. Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Obsessed. A creamy pastel pink, another soft feminine option £15.
10. Chanel L’Exuberante. A gorgeous vibrant matte pink colour, for when you want to splurge a little more on your beauty products –essential for party season. £26 available at Selfridges.